Scholarship and Bursary Applications
15 February: We are no longer accepting general scholarship applications but, thanks to the generosity of our sponsors, we are able to consider applications for one or two tuition scholarship spots in each the following courses (while they last!):
- 2. Foundations: Scholarscapes, Augmented Dissemination via Digital Methods
- 5. Conceptualising and Creating a Digital Documentary Edition
- 6. Open Journal Systems for the Digital Humanities
- 17. Digital Humanities with a Global Outlook
- 18. Games for Digital Humanists
- 22. Physical Computing and Desktop Fabrication for Humanists
- 23. Pragmatic Publishing Workflows
- 25. Creating LAMP Infrastructure for Digital Humanities Projects
- 28. 3-D Modeling
- 29. RDF and Linked Open Data
- 32. Professionalizing the Early Career Digital Humanist: Strategies and Skills
- 35. Understanding Topic Modeling
- 36. Open Source OCR Tools for Early Modern Printed Documents
Sponsored Tuition Scholarships
Thanks to the exceptional generosity of our sponsors, we are able to offer a number of tuition scholarships for the Digital Humanities Summer Institute. These scholarships cover tuition costs with the exception of a small, non-refundable administration fee (students $150, non-students $300).
The application process for tuition scholarships typically opens early in the Fall term, announced via the DHSI e-mail list and DHInstitute on Twitter; sometimes, we'll be able to soft-launch earlier. Applications are considered on a rolling basis, evaluated with attention to need, merit, and course availability at the time of evaluation. Scholarship applications will be accepted until 14 February.
Note for 2015: You can apply for, and are eligible to receive, scholarship spots in each, any, and all of the sessions 1-5 June, 8-12 June, and 15-19 June. Please submit a separate application for each of the week-long sessions you are considering.
Scholarships can take a number of weeks to process. If you are hoping for a spot in a particular course that has limited room remaining, we recommend considering the tuition reductions available to students and members of sponsoring and partner organizations and registering directly.
- There are a limited number of tuition scholarship spots available in each course, offered as applications are considered on a rolling basis. (As scholarship spots fill, closer to the deadline date DHInstitute on Twitter will often note which courses may still have tuition scholarship spots available, as well as when additional tuition spots become available.)
- While tuition scholarship spots may not be available in all courses, there may still be some room available in those courses via direct registration at http://www.dhsi.org/registration.html, with considerable tuition reductions available to students and those members of sponsoring organisations (including the Alliance of Digital Humanities Organisations [ADHO], the Modern Language Association [MLA], Canadian Federation for the Humanities and Social Sciences [CFHSS], the Humanities, Arts, Science, and Technology Alliance and Collaboratory [HASTAC], and others!); see http://dhsi.org/registration.html#SponsorRegistration for further details.
- In order to be eligible for a tuition scholarship, you must complete the scholarship application and receive your acceptance before registering for a course. (We regret that we are unable to offer tuition reimbursements to participants who register before receiving the results of their scholarship application.)
- Tuition scholarships are intended for the person to whom they are awarded, and are non-transferrable.
- So that you receive correspondence from DHSI about your scholarship application in a timely manner, please ensure that your spam filter will allow emails from uvic.ca.
ACH Travel Bursary
The Association for Computers and the Humanities is generously offering several bursaries to assist ACH graduate student members by defraying some travel and lodging costs. If you are an ACH member, please indicate your eligibility when you apply for a tuition scholarship (as above) and/or register for DHSI; click here to become an ACH member. Recipients of these bursaries are notified by DHSI in Spring (2014 announcement of bursaries was made to recipients on 7 March 2014); please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
GO::DH Travel Bursary
In partnership with Global Outlook::Digital Humanities (GO::DH ), we're looking to offer a number of travel bursaries to members of the GO::DH community, defraying some travel and lodging costs. If you are member of the GO::DH community, please indicate your eligibility when you apply for a tuition scholarship (as above) and/or register for DHSI. Recipients of these bursaries are notified by DHSI in Spring (2014 announcement of all bursaries was made to recipients on 7 March 2014); please contact email@example.com with any questions.