Scholarship and Bursary Applications
Sponsored Tuition Scholarships
Thanks to the exceptional generosity of our sponsors and partners, we are able to offer a number of tuition scholarships for the Digital Humanities Summer Institute. These scholarships are open to all, and cover tuition costs with the exception of a small, non-refundable administration fee (students $150, non-students $300).
The application process for tuition scholarships typically opens early in the Fall term, announced via the DHSI e-mail list and DHInstitute on Twitter; sometimes, we'll be able to soft-launch earlier. Scholarship applications will be accepted until 14 February.
Applications are considered on a rolling basis, evaluated with attention to need, merit, and course availability at the time of evaluation.
Note for 2016: You can apply for, and are eligible to receive, scholarship spots in each, either, and both of the DHSI weeks. Please submit a separate application for each of the week-long sessions you are considering.
Scholarships can take a number of weeks to process. If you are hoping for a spot in a particular course that has limited room remaining, we recommend considering the tuition reductions available to students and members of sponsoring and partner organizations and registering directly.
- There are a limited number of tuition scholarship spots available in each course, offered as applications are considered on a rolling basis. As scholarship spots fill, closer to the deadline date DHInstitute on Twitter will often note which courses may still have tuition scholarship spots available, as well as when additional tuition spots become available. (The best rule of thumb, for better or worse, is that the more full a course is the less likely there will still be scholarship spots available; details of course enrolment levels are available on our website as enrolment rises.)
- While tuition scholarship spots may not be available in all courses, there may still be some room available in those courses via direct registration at http://www.dhsi.org/registration.html, with considerable tuition reductions available to students and those members of sponsoring organisations (including the Alliance of Digital Humanities Organisations [ADHO], the Modern Language Association [MLA], Canadian Federation for the Humanities and Social Sciences [CFHSS], the Humanities, Arts, Science, and Technology Alliance and Collaboratory [HASTAC], and others!); see http://dhsi.org/registration.html#SponsorRegistration for further details.
- In order to be eligible for a tuition scholarship, you must complete the scholarship application and receive your acceptance before registering for a course.
- Tuition scholarships are intended for the person to whom they are awarded, and are non-transferrable.
- So that you receive correspondence from DHSI about your scholarship application in a timely manner, please ensure that your spam filter will allow emails from uvic.ca.
- We regret that we are unable to offer tuition reimbursements to participants who register before receiving the results of their scholarship application.
ACH Travel Bursary
The Association for Computers and the Humanities is generously offering several bursaries to assist ACH graduate student members by defraying some travel and lodging costs. If you are an ACH member, please indicate your eligibility when you apply for a tuition scholarship (as above) and/or register for DHSI; click here to become an ACH member. Recipients of these bursaries are notified by DHSI in Spring (2015 announcement of bursaries was made to recipients on 13 March 2015); please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
GO::DH Travel Bursary
In partnership with Global Outlook::Digital Humanities (GO::DH ), we have been pleased to offer a number of travel bursaries to members of the GO::DH community, defraying some travel and lodging costs. If you are member of the GO::DH community, please indicate your eligibility when you apply for a tuition scholarship (as above) and/or register for DHSI. If bursaries are available via GO::DH for 2016, we will be pleased to consider applicants for them! Please contact email@example.com with any questions.