Travel & Accommodation
There is a daily bus service from downtown Vancouver and / or Vancouver Airport to downtown Victoria. This trip involves taking the ferry from Tsawwassen on the mainland to Swartz Bay on Vancouver Island, and then the bus drops off in downtown Victoria (not UVic). From downtown, there are a variety of public transit buses (e.g. #4, #11, #14, #15) that take ~30 minutes to get to campus.
BC Transit provides affordable and convenient bus transportation throughout Victoria. The cost is $2.50 one-way or $5.00 for a Day Pass with unlimited rides. Note that the bus drivers do not give change.
There are regular ferries from Vancouver and Seattle to Victoria. For more information, visit BC Ferries or Victoria Clipper Ferry Service.
The BC Ferries boat from Vancouver docks in Swartz Bay (Sidney), approximately 45 minutes by taxi (~$70-$80 CAD) or 1-1.5 hours by bus to the university. For public transit, take the #70 or #72 downtown, then the #4, #11, #14, #15 to UVic.
The Victoria Clipper from Seattle arrives at the Inner Harbour, approximately 20 minutes by taxi (~$25 CAD) or 30-45 minutes by bus to UVic.
If you are hoping to share transportation from the airport, ferry, or downtown to UVic, we recommend using the DHSI hashtag on Twitter or the on-site listserv to coordinate this.
Victoria International Airport is located approximately 30 minutes from the university by car / taxi. Flights arrive daily from across Canada, the US, and Europe.
Air Travel Notification, Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA): If you are not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, American citizen, or dual Canadian / American citizen, you will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA), available via this link.
Float plane or helicopter service is often available from Vancouver (Harbour Air; Helijet) or Seattle (Kenmore Air) to Victoria’s Inner Harbour.
For travel to and from the airport, we recommend the YYJ Airport Shuttle if it is running, which varies seasonally—it is important to call and confirm a pick-up and drop-off at UVic. The cost is approximately $20-25 CAD for one adult; less if you are traveling in a group of two or more.
Victoria does not have any ride hailing companies (e.g. Uber, Lyft). A taxi to the university from the airport will cost approximately $50 CAD and take around 30 minutes.
- Yellow Cab: (250) 381-2222
- BlueBird Cabs: (250) 382-2222
Many DHSI participants stay in on-campus accommodation during DHSI for the convenience of being located close to all activities and fellow participants. Campus lodging is basic dormitory style. We recommend arriving during daylight hours, so that you have the chance to get settled in, explore, and get your bearings without trying to find your way in the dark!
Check in is at the Craigdarroch Residence Office. UVic holds space for DHSI participants in both dormitory and cluster housing. Internet access is available in each bedroom and pay phones are located in or near all buildings. Please note that amenities in on-campus accommodations are quite basic. For those who would prefer hotel-type accommodations, please see Off-Campus Accommodation.
Bedrooms in Residence (dormitory) buildings come with either 1 or 2 single beds. Shared washroom facilities are located on each floor along with a central lounge to relax and watch TV with other guests. Note that there are generally no refrigerators, stoves, or cooking implements available in residence rooms.
Similar to an apartment or townhouse, Cluster Housing units come with 4 bedrooms, 2 washrooms, and a shower. Each bedroom in the unit contains 1 single bed. The living room is furnished with a loveseat and coffee table. The kitchen has a fridge, stove, dishwasher, and dining room table with chairs. A “Deluxe” Cluster House will also be equipped with dishes, cutlery, and utensils (for an additional charge). Please note: cable and phone lines are available; however, televisions and telephones are not provided in the units.
For additional information and floor plans visit www.uvic.ca/residence/visitors/.
Booking On-campus Accommodation
Check back here for information on booking your on-campus accommodation for the next DHSI. An online booking portal with further details will be posted.
Having trouble finding your dorm or cluster? Here is a map of the area.
Hotel accommodation is available at a distance from the university in downtown Victoria and requires taxi, car, or bus transport to the university. Buses run frequently and directly, taking ~30-45 minutes; taxi is ~$25 CAD one way. The following hotels often provide discounted government rates to guests of UVic via institutional agreement. Please contact hotels directly for further information, and note that discounted rooms may sell out quickly and that the summer months are busy for Victoria hotels (as a tourist destination).
- Inn at Laurel Point: +1-250-386-8721, firstname.lastname@example.org, http://www.laurelpoint.com/
- Hotel Grand Pacific: 1-800-663-7550, email@example.com, http://www.hotelgrandpacific.com/
- Chateau Victoria: 250-382-4221, 1-800-663-5891, firstname.lastname@example.org, http://www.chateauvictoria.com/
- Best Western: 250-384-5122, 888-383-2378, email@example.com, http://www.victoriabestwestern.com/
- Royal Scot: 250-388-5463, 1-800-663-7515, firstname.lastname@example.org, http://www.royalscot.com/
- Swans Hotel: 250-361-3310, 1-800-668-7926, email@example.com, http://swanshotel.com/
- Harbour Towers: 1-800-663-5896, firstname.lastname@example.org, http://www.harbourtowers.com/
- Fairmont Empress: +1-250-384-8111, 1-866-540-4429, email@example.com, http://www.fairmont.com/empress-victoria/
- Delta Victoria Ocean Pointe Resort and Spa: +1-250-360-2999, +1-800-268-1133, http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/yyj/
- Accent Inns: 250-360-1511, firstname.lastname@example.org, https://www.accentinns.com/victoria
- Arbutus Inn: 250-386-1000, 1-888-546-4432, http://www.arbutusinn.ca
- Coast Harbourside: 250-360-1211, 800-716-6199, https://www.coasthotels.com/hotels/bc/victoria/
- DoubleTree by Hilton: +1-250-940-3100, http://doubletree3.hilton.com/en/hotels/british-columbia/
- Embassy Inn: 250-382-8161, 1-800-268-8161, email@example.com, http://www.embassyinn.ca
- Hotel Zed: 1-250-388-4345, 1-800-997-6797, firstname.lastname@example.org, https://www.hotelzed.com/victoria/
- Magnolia Hotel & Spa: 250-381-0999, 1-877-624-6654, email@example.com, http://magnoliahotel.com
- Marriott Hotel: 1-877-333-8338, 1-250-480-3800, firstname.lastname@example.org, http://www.marriottvictoria.com
The Victoria tourism site (http://www.tourismvictoria.com/) also links to more hotels and bed & breakfasts.