Travel & Accommodation
There are public transit buses from Swartz Bay (Sidney) to Victoria downtown. Services operate daily and depart hourly; the trip takes approximately 1 hour. From downtown, there are a variety of buses (e.g. #7, #4, #11, #14, #15) that take about 30 minutes to get to campus.
BC Transit provides affordable and convenient bus transportation throughout Victoria. The cost is $2.50 one-way or $5.00 for a Day Pass with unlimited rides. Note that the bus drivers do not give change.
The BC Ferries boat from Vancouver docks in Swartz Bay (Sidney), approximately 45 minutes by taxi (~$70-$80 CAD) or 1-1.5 hours by bus to the university. For public transit, take the #70 or #72 downtown, then the #4, #11, #14, #15 to UVic.
The Victoria Clipper from Seattle arrives at the Inner Harbour, approximately 20 minutes by taxi (~$25 CAD) or 30-45 minutes by bus to UVic.
Victoria International Airport is located approximately 30 minutes from the university by car / taxi. Flights arrive daily from across Canada, the US, and Europe.
Air Travel Notification, Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA): If you are not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, American citizen, or dual Canadian / American citizen, you will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA), available via this link.
Victoria has multiple ride hailing options available: Lucky to Go, Uber, and Lyft. A taxi to the university from the airport will cost approximately $70-80 CAD and take around 30 minutes.
Many DHSI participants stay in on-campus accommodation during DHSI for the convenience of being located close to all activities and fellow participants. Campus lodging is basic dormitory style. We recommend arriving during daylight hours, so that you have the chance to get settled in, explore, and get your bearings without trying to find your way in the dark!
UVic holds space for DHSI participants in both dormitory and cluster housing. Internet access is available in each bedroom and pay phones are located in or near all buildings. Please note that amenities in on-campus accommodations are quite basic. For those who would prefer hotel-type accommodations, please see Off-Campus Accommodation.
Single and twin rooms provide you with a single bed and a shared semi-private or group bathroom. Housekeeping service is provided every fourth day for short-term stays. A common lounge on each floor with comfortable seating, microwave and TV. Internet access is complimentary. Rental rate: $71/night.
Similar to an apartment or townhouse, Cluster Housing units come with 4 bedrooms, 2 washrooms, and a shower. Each bedroom in the unit contains 1 single bed. The living room is furnished with a loveseat and coffee table. The kitchen has a fridge, stove, dishwasher, and dining room table with chairs. A “Deluxe” Cluster House will also be equipped with dishes, cutlery, and utensils (for an additional charge). Please note: cable and phone lines are available; however, televisions and telephones are not provided in the units. Rental rate: $341/night (4 rooms with single bed).
Booking On-campus Accommodation
To book on-campus accommodation for DHSI you need to email Visitor accommodation and identify yourself as DHSI participants, with a full name, room type request, address and phone number, and dates of check in, and check out. As of now, the booking portal is not available and this is the only way to secure a reservation.
*Note: Ongoing construction projects, maintenance, and renovations may be taking place in and around the student housing neighbourhoods during DHSI. Please be aware that this has the potential to bring some unavoidable disruption, noise, and dust. There will be no compensation or discounts provided due to disruption and/or relocation.
Having trouble finding your dorm or cluster? Here is a map of the area.
Hotel accommodation is available at a distance from the university in downtown Victoria and requires taxi, car, or bus transport to the university. Buses run frequently and directly, taking ~30-45 minutes; taxi is ~$25 CAD one way (see OurTaxi Rates). The following hotels often provide discounted government rates and other discounts. Please contact hotels directly for further information, and note that discounted rooms may sell out quickly and that the summer months are busy for Victoria hotels (as a tourist destination).
- Inn at Laurel Point: +1-250-386-8721, email@example.com, http://www.laurelpoint.com/
- Hotel Grand Pacific: 1-800-663-7550, firstname.lastname@example.org, http://www.hotelgrandpacific.com/
- Chateau Victoria: 250-382-4221, 1-800-663-5891, email@example.com, http://www.chateauvictoria.com/
- Best Western: 250-384-5122, 888-383-2378, firstname.lastname@example.org, http://www.victoriabestwestern.com/
- Royal Scot: 250-388-5463, 1-800-663-7515, email@example.com, http://www.royalscot.com/
- Swans Hotel: 250-361-3310, 1-800-668-7926, firstname.lastname@example.org, http://swanshotel.com/
- Harbour Towers: 1-800-663-5896, email@example.com, http://www.harbourtowers.com/
- Fairmont Empress: +1-250-384-8111, 1-866-540-4429, firstname.lastname@example.org, http://www.fairmont.com/empress-victoria/
- Delta Victoria Ocean Pointe Resort and Spa: +1-250-360-2999, +1-800-268-1133, http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/yyj/
- Accent Inns: 250-360-1511, email@example.com, https://www.accentinns.com/victoria
- Arbutus Inn: 250-386-1000, 1-888-546-4432, http://www.arbutusinn.ca
- Coast Harbourside: 250-360-1211, 800-716-6199, https://www.coasthotels.com/hotels/bc/victoria/
- DoubleTree by Hilton: +1-250-940-3100, http://doubletree3.hilton.com/en/hotels/british-columbia/
- Embassy Inn: 250-382-8161, 1-800-268-8161, firstname.lastname@example.org, http://www.embassyinn.ca
- Hotel Zed: 1-250-388-4345, 1-800-997-6797, email@example.com, https://www.hotelzed.com/victoria/
- Magnolia Hotel & Spa: 250-381-0999, 1-877-624-6654, firstname.lastname@example.org, http://magnoliahotel.com
- Marriott Hotel: 1-877-333-8338, 1-250-480-3800, email@example.com, http://www.marriottvictoria.com
The Victoria tourism site (http://www.tourismvictoria.com/) also links to more hotels and bed & breakfasts.